Sunday 22 November 2020

The Girl In The Polka Dot Dress

 



I have always been partial to a polka dot dress and when I saw this one on eBay, I had to bid for it. 
Just my size including being petite too which is perfect when you are 5ft 1in. 
I bid and won for £2.99 and the label was still on too.


I think serendipity was at play this weekend too.
My Saturday and Sunday morning treat is to take a cup of tea back to bed and read, sometimes for two hours.
Before lockdown I had bought a stack of books from the local charity shops including one by the author of The Girl In The Polka Dot Dress - Beryl Bainbridge.
Although sadly, that book was not on the shelves, instead I got this one which is set in Liverpool in the 1950s.



Beryl Bainbridge grew up in Formby,  the town where I have lived for the past 32 years, and she was expelled from Merchant Taylor's School in Crosby where my husband's twin sister attended too , although some years later.
I am taking this book slowly as the prose is so carefully crafted I don't want to miss a detail.
After my Saturday morning read we went for a long walk and then spent the evening watching The Queen's Gambit which is also set in the 1950s.



On Sunday I continued with the book, Bainbridge is such a fabulous writer I will definitely have to read more of her work. 
I don't know why I have waited so long.

Then it was two hours of cleaning to pay for my reading in bed and then prepping my slow cooker Vegetarian Cassoulet dish which was inspired by a Michael Barry recipe circa 1992.


Tonight my husband and the boys will be watching Liverpool FC play on the TV and I will be catching up with some blog comments I have just found.




And I will also be continuing with my NaNoWriMo novel.

I like to do this each year but when you read such sublime writing as the work of Beryl Bainbridge I realize how far I have to go.




Today I wore:
Boots: Marks and Spencer
Dress; Wallis on Ebay
Coat: Tesco






4 comments:

  1. That dress looks fantastic on and was such a bargain, it's great with that coat.
    I'm not sure if I've read any Beryl Bainbridge, I shall see if I can find a freebie to download to my ereader thingy. I remember always liking her when she was interviewed on TV.
    Your slow cooker dish looks very good, I need to dust my ancient 1970s model off and use it. Jon's not a vegetarian but apart from his Saturday morning sausages and the odd posh pizza from the Co-op eats the same as me. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix.
      Me and Paul are the same, I've been veggie since 1985 and he is a meat eater but eating less and less meat.
      Tonight he will have some of my casserole with roast chicken!!!

      Delete
  2. You're doing so well on your novel! Congratulations! I love the polka dot dress too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES to polka dots!!! I like the sound of that author too! I'm really pleased because a chance email led to me finding the perfect dress for my sister in law's birthday in April- I found it brand new on eBay for £17 after seeing one for £40 elsewhere!

    ReplyDelete

First 24 Hours in India

  Ten years after qualifying as a yoga teacher I finally realised a dream - to travel to the birthplace of yoga. I have been planning this t...