Sunday 29 November 2020

In The Pink

I woke on Saturday morning to dark skies and a little drizzle running down the bedroom window. Even on Saturday, I wake early and this morning was before 7am. 
Once I am awake that is it.
 I can't get back to sleep. 
I can't lie in bed like my husband who would happily stay snuggled in bed until late morning. 
The weekend concession we have is that I make tea and bring it back to bed with a book.
I ventured downstairs for tea and toast and my book - Blue Monday by Nicci French.
Today it is more like a Grey Saturday.
Especially with my husband listening to the mournful music that it Bruce Springsteen's latest album.
I had no idea what I was going to wear today until Paul said we needed to get to the farm early.
The farm is where my husband works with adults who have a range of learning disabilities.
He remembered that after his last drop-off the previous evening he had parked the minibus outside the entrance which would need to be clear as it was the first day of the big Christmas tree sale.
That was the inspiration I needed.
I love the farm, especially the pigs so pink it was.
I never knew how much I loved pigs until Paul started work at the farm last winter.
Pebbles is my favourite but this morning three of the four pigs were snuggled in their huts and it was only April who ventured out for some water.
Every year the farm sells 600 Christmas Trees and the scent is divine.
I even managed to dig out the hat I knitted last year.
After letting the animals out for the day and topping up their water we left just as the staff arrived who will be selling the trees. It is such a great way to start the day and I certainly feel in the pink after time on the farm.
After a quick weekend treat trip to Waitrose we returned home and spent the rest of the day tidying and cleaning ready for our new arrival tomorrow.
And then it was dark again.
And a good excuse to snuggle up on the sofa with bread, wine and cheese and watch the final episodes of The Queen's Gambit.
My dad was a big chess fam and taught my brother and I to play at an early age way back in the 1970s.
I mastered the basic moves but soon got bored and didn't have the kind of  strategic brain you need to be any good. 
Unlike my brother who became quite a good chess player.
Interestingly, my career has always had a creativity angle whereas he is a numbers man and works in an investment bank in London.
Dad died 10 years ago but I know he would have loved the series which is set in the 1950s and 1960s.
But by the end of the evening we watched the last episode and now I am bereft.
I loved the music, the fashion, the cinematography and of course the chess.
But not time to wallow as tomorrow we start a new chapter when Frankie, the pup named after my dad arrives.

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend,
Jane X

I wore:
Wellie - Hunter
Face mask - local chemist
Leggings - Dorothy Perkins
Shirt - Top Shop from charity shop
Top - Tesco
Hat - knitted by me
Coat - Regatta.



4 comments:

  1. Your pink hat is fabulous, I love how your mask matches!
    I do love pigs. Most families in Goa have a pig and they are always snuffling around the guesthouses we stay in, they keep me entertained for hours!
    That chess programme looked very stylish! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are finishing up the Queen's Gambit tonight! I have really enjoyed it so far.

    Love your matchy mask and hat, perfect for pigs! I love the smell of real trees. Ah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you enjoyed the ending.
    We have just bought a real tree for the kitchen and it does smell good. XX

    ReplyDelete

First 24 Hours in India

  Ten years after qualifying as a yoga teacher I finally realised a dream - to travel to the birthplace of yoga. I have been planning this t...