Sunday 10 January 2021

Thank You For The Days

 

I was going to blog about something completely different today until I read the comment from Lulu on my last post.

Lulu from Long Mizzle Garden commented on how her art teacher talked about the beauty of minimal lines and it reminded me of my old friend, Peter Grant.

Peter was the Showbusiness Editor at The Liverpool Echo where I was a features writer.
We sat opposite each other for about four years.

Apart from the times we were both writing, we spent most of our working day talking.
He was so helpful, a true mentor.
When I organised a ball to raise funds for Macmillan nurses after my friend died of cancer, his connections helped to make it a great success.
Peter was very generous with his advice and support.
We shared many views, apart from The Beatles.
He loved them. 
Me, not so much.
When he spoke to Paul McCartney on the phone I used to roll my eyes.
But we never fell out.
When I left The Echo he gave me this framed picture which he  drew using minimal lines.



I may not have been a fan of The Beatles, but I was a great admirer of John Lennon and this picture takes pride of place in my lounge.
I haven't seen Peter for many years.
We kept in touch for some time.
I have written about him here when his partner, (he affectionally called Tugboat Cath as she lived on a boat in The Albert Dock in Liverpool), won a writing competition.
And here when he opened a second hand bookshop and his old pal Ken Dodd performed the opening ceremony.
Ken Dodd was hilarious and called me Little Red Riding Hood all afternoon.


Maybe that is why the colour red always cheers me up.
Today is a grey day so I instantly sought out some item of red clothing.
It is Peter's birthday on January 12th.
I think I will surprise him and see if I can find him.
While we never agreed on our favourite sixties band, I would like to say to Peter in the words of my favourite sixties band:

Thank you for the days
Those endless days, those sacred days you gave me
I'm thinking of the days
I won't forget a single day believe me

Today I wore:

Boots and Jumper - M & S

Leggings - Dorothy Perkins

Top - Ganni




9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you aren't a fan of The Beatles either, so overrated. I was most upset when Glastonbury announced Macca would be headlining for their 50th birthday and had already decided I'm be somewhere else! (Not that it happened in the end!
    You look fabulous in red! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is Macca who puts me off. There is something about him that I just can't take to.
      Glad he didn't spoil your festival X

      Delete
  2. found your blog through Vix's linky - nice to meet you. Although not a big Beatles fan, I respect their popularity and your John Lennon work of art is a fabulous thing to own, it's fun. Like me, you think in colour - I can never be one of those people who put their clothes out the night before because I don't know what colour day it will be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A safe place where I too can admit I’m not mad on The Beatles! (It didn’t help that a mean old boyfriend played ‘Hey Jude’ on repeat at maximum volume all the way from Manchester to my first ever Glastonbury!!!) But John Lennon, yes I like him and the drawing really does capture his essence.


    Ken Dodd is one of the few comedians that makes my dad uncontrollably laugh. I bet the shop opening was such a hoot and how funny that he called you Little Red Riding Hood! I’d take that as a huge compliment. Good luck tracking down Peter for his birthday. I recently caught up (via Zoom!) with an old work colleague and mentor, it was so lovely to see him again. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice way to have a stroll down memory lane! I love the John Lennon line drawing (he and I share a birthday), and I hope you do get in touch with your friend again, Jane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday Sheila. I hope you have a wonderful day. X

      Delete
  5. Nice to meet you too Betty. Yes I have to be in the right mood. It is the same with food. I can't meal plan either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful person to have met, known and be friends with! I really like that John Lennon art work! Do you have much art in your home? We had a Bloggers art gallery last July and I often think of having another one!
    Your red outfit is super cheerful!I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanke you Kezzie. I sent him a birthday message on messenger and he sent a lovely reply and promises to get in touch soon. X

      Delete

First 24 Hours in India

  Ten years after qualifying as a yoga teacher I finally realised a dream - to travel to the birthplace of yoga. I have been planning this t...