Thursday 7 January 2021

Copycat


According to the Cambridge dictionary, a copycat is 'someone who has few ideas of their own and does or says exactly the same as someone else!
So here I am copycatting this picture of the new Woman's Hour presenter, Emma Barnett.
As soon as I saw this photo in one of the Sunday papers I cut it out and pasted it into my inspiration notebook.

And I much prefer the definition of inspiration, 'the process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially to do something creative.'


I have had the pleather skirt in my wardrobe for about five years and had never thought to wear it like this with the new to me ebay kimono top.

It is a perfect dressed up/dressed down look which I like.

I even cleaned the house from top to bottom in this outfit so it is very practical!


I love the detail on the back.



And when I finished cleaning I gave myself half an hour to read my new book.
I am onto my second book of the year after finishing Ann Cleeves' Raven Black which is set on Shetland.



My new book, Patchwork could have the subtitle: The Small Fabric of My Life as it is a memoir linked to the memories Claire Wilcox, (the senior curator of fashion at the Victoria and Albert Museum) has with clothing and fabric.
She says it is all about the gaps in the words and why the simple labels may say:

 "Maternity dress. Unfinished. Unworn" 

There is so much more to the story.

It reminds me of the time I was teaching creative writing at HMP Garth and we were looking at flash fiction.
I used the example of the six word short story which is attributed to Ernest Hemingway.

For sale: baby shoes, never worn.


But more than that, I love this book for the spare yet evocative style and expansive feelings she evokes.

This book was a Christmas present to me from my late father, Frank.

When dad died in 2010 I continued to buy myself a gift and pretend it was from him.

I have received pens, notebooks, watches, necklaces and books.

Things I know we would have both loved.

I shared dad's love of trees, running and reading.


My dad left school at 14 but he loved words.

Our favourite poem was Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night by Dylan Thomas.

I am proud to be a copycat.


I wore:

Skirt and Kimono Top: New Look

Jumper: French Connection

Boots - M & S





 

10 comments:

  1. Great outfit, and you're not being a copycat! You haven't recreated her outfit, you've taken it as inspiration and added your own twist! That's a creative exercise, in my book.

    Speaking of books, that fashion one sounds awesome - I like her writing!

    My mom still buys things from her mum and dad, even though she's 75 and lost them both over 20 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila and how lovely that your mum still feels like the cherished child whatever her age. I think that is a wonderful gift her parents gave her. X

      Delete
  2. Hello Jane, I love the Silver Thread extract you’ve shared from Patchwork, great writing! In my old drawing classes, our brilliant teacher often talked about how important empty space is and shared the knack of drawing with the most minimal amount of pencil marks. That’s a wonderful picture of your dad. When I'm out and about or browsing online, I think 'Grandad would want me to have this plant' as he was always digging up plants from his garden and handing them to me in his final years. Another cracking outfit. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lulu.
      What an inspiration your teacher was.
      You have inspired my next post.
      And how lovely the plants and new life reminds you of your beloved grandfather. X

      Delete
  3. That's a lovely photo of your Dad!
    I think there's a big difference by being a copycat and going out and buying clothes to be an exact imitation of someone else and realising that you own clothes similar to another woman and being inspired to wear them together and you both look fantastic.
    Both of those books sound fab. I've read a couple of Ann Cleeves books and enjoyed them but couldn't get into Shetland or Vera. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vix - he was a wonderful dad.
      Yes I tried to watch an old Shetland after reading the book but it wasn't the same.

      Delete
  4. Copycatting is great fun (I do it often!) After all, if you see a look and like it and think it works for you, why not go for it! Your version is actually nicer though!
    That picture of your dad is lovely- he sounds wonderful! I like your idea of buying a book as if it were still from him.x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet post, my dear. I love that you took inspiration from this newspaper photo and what a fab outfit you put together.

    I love the idea of buying a gift from your dad. That is such a beautiful tradition. X

    ReplyDelete

First 24 Hours in India

  Ten years after qualifying as a yoga teacher I finally realised a dream - to travel to the birthplace of yoga. I have been planning this t...