Thursday 25 March 2021

A Walk On The Wild Side

 

I love the guided walks by Vix and Mike so I thought I would share what is almost my daily walk with you.

It starts at St Luke's Church in Formby which is a mile from my house.

The church hit the national headlines last year with the arrival of the Hot Vicar.

You can read about him here if you have the time or inclination!

Originally built as a chapel, the building was destroyed in a sandstorm in 1739.

 The church we see today was built in 1854.

It is a pretty church and I have been to many services here both happy and sad including the funeral of my friend's sister who died aged 22 due to a botched operation.


It's very popular with walkers and there are lots of picnic tables.
In non covid times there is a tearoom in the grounds.

In the churchyard there is a lovely tribute to the world's oldest Lifeboat Station which was located on the beach nearby.
It was built in 1793.

Sadly, only a few bricks remain but a great meeting point for my Beach Yoga sessions in the summer.



The path through the church takes you through a gate and into the woods.



The pinewoods were created by the local Formby family over 120 years ago.

Once you get into the pinewoods there are so many different paths to take which means the walk is never the same.



The woods lead to an open path towards the dunes.



And then we are here on the beach.

In less than 20 minutes from the car we have an historic church, a woodland and beach walk.

The beach is now managed by the National Trust and quite often used for filming.
It was the setting for the final scene in series 4 of Peaky Blinders with Tom Hardy and Cillian Murphy.



We usually walk along the beach for anything from 5 -30 minutes and take one of the paths back to the woods and return through the churchyard.



Formby beach is one of the finest examples of a moving sand dune system so every day is always different and that's without the weather!


On the way back we saw a little egg hiding in this tree in the churchyard.


I hope you enjoyed the trip and if you are ever in Formby, give me a shout.


Today I wore:

Shacket - Next

Shoes - Nike

Leggings - Sweaty Betty

5 comments:

  1. I remember that Peaky Blinders scene really well! Fancy it being on your doorstep.
    You live in a gorgeous area, I'm amazed about the old church being destroyed by a sandstorn, fancy that! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting walk - a lovely combination of history, woods and a beach - perfect!
    All good wishes ~ Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo errr, a hot vicar!!! Oh, 22 is too young to go xXx I too remember that Peaky Blinders scene well (possibly because I am in love with Tom Hardy). Thank you for the guided walk Jane, it looks beautiful. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The words 'destroyed in a sandstorm' aren't words you hear a lot in the UK, but I guess if there is sand, there can be sandstorms. The only sandstorm I've ever encountered was in the Sahara.
    What a lovely walk! The wood would be enough but to then go onto the beach - bliss. How very lucky you are. I remember that scene from Peaky Blinders but I was always a bit worried about the fate of the dog (I hate watching anything with cats in as they often seem to meet a cruel fate - do writers think felines are expendable?). Anyway, lovely walk, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a marvellous walk! Wow! I am so impressed you have all that on your doorstep!x

    ReplyDelete

First 24 Hours in India

  Ten years after qualifying as a yoga teacher I finally realised a dream - to travel to the birthplace of yoga. I have been planning this t...