Thursday 18 February 2021

The Joys of Lockdown Living

 

There is much to enjoy about Lockdown Living. *

Thanks to Lockdown Living I am re-discovering the joys of:

1. Dressing up again. Until lockdown I would spend entire days even weeks in yoga leggings. Today I took great pleasure in dressing up for a walk to the shops.

2. Embracing and noticing all the subtle and not so subtle changes in the weather. I have made the effort to get out everyday because there is no such thing as unsuitable weather, only unsuitable clothing.

3. Walking with friends outdoors seems to encourage more positive and healthy conversations instead of gossiping in coffee shops.

4. Smiling at strangers to connect. No need to get into awkward conversations. As Spike Milligan said: "Smiling is Contagious."

5. Teaching yoga from my front room with no wasted commuting time.

6. Writing. Lockdown brought me back to this blog. I rediscovered my love of writing and finally enrolled on a course to train to teach Writing for Wellbeing.

7. Reading. The only books I was reading prior to lockdown were yoga books. Since lockdown I have read at least two fiction books a month. Why did I stop?

8. Knitting. I have started to knit a blanket for my grand-daughter who is due in June.

9. Crocheting. I finally finished the Chakra Blanket I started three years ago.

10. Snail Mail. With the shops shut I have shopped on ebay, supporting small businesses whenever I can. I finally found someone I could send my broken fountain pen to and this master penmaker restored it to full working order. It may have taken three weeks but it was worth it. Another small business supported.


11. Writing with a fountain pen. See 10.

12. Selling clothes I no longer wear on ebay.

13. Planting seeds and watching them grow.

14. Sitting doing nothing with a warm puppy snoozing on my lap.

15. Walking to the shops. Buying only what I can carry back including daffodils.



Today I wore:
Boots - Next
Dress - New Look
Tank - Oasis
Belt - TK Maxx

* I am acutely aware that lockdown has been terrible for many people.

 I know I am one of the lucky ones, I have only lost thousands of pounds from lost work, cancelled retreats and workshops.

I miss spending time with my family and friends.

However, I am a glass half full person and have chosen to focus on the positive things and not the negative ones

8 comments:

  1. Yes, there are certainly going to be silver linings coming out of this shmozzle! I am happy to see that (as I predicted) people want to dress up, after months in yoga pants. I hope that many of us will appreciate how lucky and privileged we are.

    Lovely outfit! Aw, daffodils!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shmozzle - what a wonderful word Sheila.
      Ive just looked it up and will be using it all day!!!!

      Delete
  2. A brilliant post, Jane, brimming with positivity and illustrated with a fabulous frock!
    Like you, I've enjoyed my lockdown time, too. I've learnt a lot about myself, how I enjoy company but other people aren't integral to my happiness, that housework can be enjoyable and that I can live without charity shops and pubs. Like you, my earnings have been decimated but Jon and I have our health and still get along brilliantly. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have loved reading your lockdown diaries Vix and I think this break from the treadmill has been a blessing by making us aware of our blessings. X

      Delete
  3. Smiling seems to be on the uptake - so nice to walk now and people all say hello to each other on the journey and I totally agree with you about going shopping and only bringing back what you can carry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's lovely isn't it. I hope the smiling continues. X

      Delete
  4. Great positive list Jane! That is so amazing that you found someone to mend your fountain pen. I'm a bit partial to watching the Repair Shop on TV, where family relics get restored. If it wasn't for lockdown, I certainly wouldn't be bird watching or painting. Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Lulu, your paintings are wonderful and isn't the sound of birds and the ability to watch and listen such a gift?

    ReplyDelete

First 24 Hours in India

  Ten years after qualifying as a yoga teacher I finally realised a dream - to travel to the birthplace of yoga. I have been planning this t...