Tuesday 2 February 2021

A Snow Day

 

We don't get much snow in these parts - too close to the coast.

Apparently the water keeps the air warmer and the snow melts before it lands.

The last significant snowfall we had was in 2010 when the snow fell thick and fast, lasting a few weeks.

It was magical.


We had waited a long time, the last big fall before that was in February 1996 when my son who is now an assistant headteacher had just started primary school.

But I saw some snow today in the form of these beautiful wild snowdrops on our walk in the woods.


It had been raining all morning but I had so much work to do - shifting furniture to create a makeshift studio - and filming and editing some yoga videos.
I needed to get out and by 2pm the rain had stopped.
We decided to take Frankie on one of the walks we used to do with our old labrador, through the woods by the dunes.
Frankie is four months old and he has brought such mirth, mess and mayhem into our lives but we wouldn't have it any other way,


He is so good at recall, we didn't need a lead all the way round and while he did play with some other dogs he came right back when he was called.


We didn't make it to Devil's Hole, a great big crater in the dunes where the local children take sledges and slide down.


There is so much wonderful wildlife around here.


The shapes of the trees are magnificent.


Frankie has so much space to explore.
And now he's sitting by my feet snoozing as it has started to rain again.


I am so glad we managed to get out while it was dry.
And who needs snow when you have snowdrops?

Today I wore:
Shoes: Next
Dress: New Look







6 comments:

  1. I saw some snowdrops today and had to restrain myself from picking them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're starting to see crocuses and snowdrops here, too, as well as the first pink buds of the plum trees. Spring is in the air.

    No snow here this year so far, not even a single snowflake. I am hoping for one real snow day, but Feb is usually our last chance for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who needs snow with spectacular scenery like that on your doorstep? I haven't seen any snowdrops yet, I do love them.
    Frankie is adorable and a real bundle of joy, love that photo of you both at the top of your blog post. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cutie he is! I am so glad he has had such an impact on your life!
    I saw some Snowdrops in my mum's front garden last week. We paid a visit to the end of her drive and the first thing she said was to look at the snowdrops in the corner!
    My best snow day was 2 years ago when it snowed on my birthday AND I DIDN'T HAVE TO GO SCHOOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Devil's Hole! What a great name. I certainly would have wanted to go on some Goonies type adventure to that place when I was a kid! Frankie looks so cute in his little jacket.

    I remember the 2010 snow well. We were living in Hull, I was pregnant with my eldest and we had snow for three months. Everything ground to a halt. The buses stopped. I had to snow crawl to my maternity appointments and walk to and from work - which took an hour each way... completely exhausting! Now we're in Cornwall, snowdrops are about as close to snow as we get! Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The snow picture from 2010 looks stunning, but what can beat a walk out with clever little Frankie? He's so cute. X


    ReplyDelete

First 24 Hours in India

  Ten years after qualifying as a yoga teacher I finally realised a dream - to travel to the birthplace of yoga. I have been planning this t...