Sunday 20 February 2022

We Are Grandparents (Again)

 

You wait years for a grandbaby and then two pop along in under a year!

Welcome to our world, Mason Gary Cringle.

It has been a while since I posted, but I am still on a high after witnessing the birth of my baby grandson.  

My daughter had invited me into the delivery room with her fiance early on in the pregnancy but I hadn't built up my hopes as I was aware things may change. 

But at 9pm on Monday Feb 7th I got a call to say labour had started. It was early days so they told me they would ring if things progressed.

At 2am on Tuesday February 8th I got a call to say the contractions had intensified so I got dressed into the car and drove the 8 miles across the county lines from Merseyside into Lancashire where they live.


It was a long night.

In the dimmed lounge we half slept, half watched the television. I have strange recollections of pottery competitions, police chases and airport customs procedures.

I never did find out of a woman was hiding drugs in her buttock implants and for some strange reason I need to know.

By 5am things had slowed down so we walked around the roads for a while and then it stopped.

My daughter hadn't felt the baby move so she rang the hospital and they asked her to come in.

I took Bud, their little Frenchie home and waited.

Happily, the baby was fine but it meant another sleepless night for my daughter and her fiance as the contractions returned.

At 6am on Wednesday February 9th I got  a call to say they were being moved to a delivery room and could I bring some pillows and lucozade.

I made my way through to Ormskirk Hospital and with arms and bags bulging found them on the matenity ward looking a lot more cheerful than I expected.


There was a television in the room but it didn't work. Luckily I had brought a speaker and managed to find some PLaylists for Labour on Spotify which we listened to for the next 12 or so hours.

I had sprayed my yoga and meditation mist and all the staff said they hated leaving the room as it was so chilled.

After slow progress Briony was put on a drip and epidural.

Around 7.30pm they asked me to get out the clothes for the baby and warm then under the lights.

It was getting exciting.


By 9.30pm she was ready to push and despite early misgivings the caesarean she had feared was ruled out and at 9.51pm on Wednesday February 9th 2022 Mason Gary Cringle entered this world with a lung busting cry.



Thank you to the skills and care of the midwifery team and the support of her wonderful fiance I cried tears of joy.

We all did.


At 11.30pm Jordan went home to get a good night's sleep while I fed and cuddled Mason as  my daughter slept.
Music played softly in the background and in the dim light as Wednesday turned into Thursday I enjoyed the most magical time with my grandson.

Around 1.30am when the effects of the epidrual had worn off and my daughter had showered mother and baby were moved to a the post natal ward and I drove home across the country lanes under the glow of an almost full moon.


We reunited Bud with his mum and dad and he is the perfect big brother.

It has been 10 days since Mason came into our world and I can't imagine a world without him.

#blessed




3 comments:

  1. Oh congratulations Jane! Welcome little Mason. You both look too young to be grandparents. Lulu xXx

    p.s. I am going to go with the theory that yes, the woman on TV was indeed hiding drugs in her buttock implants ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautifully written piece, Jane! Well done and congratulations to all of you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many, many congratulations! I was on tenterhooks reading this!!!! What a cutie Mason is! Great name too!x

    ReplyDelete

First 24 Hours in India

  Ten years after qualifying as a yoga teacher I finally realised a dream - to travel to the birthplace of yoga. I have been planning this t...