Saturday 19 June 2010

A Long Time Ago In A Galaxy Far Far Away


Back to the Blackburn High School where I am working as a writer in residence.
The pupils have been a pleasure to work with - they are so full of life, ideas and enthusiasm.
At least most of them.
There was one 14-year-old boy who could barely lift his head off the desk.
He had told me that he couldn't see the point of school and preferred to hang out on the streets with his mates, chilling and watching films until 2am.
I saw him as a challenge.
How to engage this boy?
We were experimenting with new ways of starting a story.
We began with Once Upon A Time.
Norman - the poet I am working with - asked the students for different ways of saying "Once" "Upon" "A" and "Time."
We still didn't have this boy depsite some imaginative takes on story openings.
Then I asked: "Come on, what is another way of starting a story?
"Think. Think of the opening of Star Wars."
My young student took his head off the table.
"Miss. Miss. A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away."
That was it.
We had him - for the rest of the lesson at least!
Today I wore:

Shoes - Clarks
Skirt and Vest - Gap

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on getting his attention! Very clever :)

    I love your skirt today. You look fabulous in white!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo for you! You're a good teacher. And well dressed too.... love the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty skirt... and how thoughful of you on getting him involved. Some people notice but do not care to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great look, I really like the detail at the waist of the skirt.

    Glad you got that young man involved, it must have seemed like a hurdle to overcome.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo for you! You're a good teacher. And well dressed too.... love the skirt!

    ReplyDelete

First 24 Hours in India

  Ten years after qualifying as a yoga teacher I finally realised a dream - to travel to the birthplace of yoga. I have been planning this t...