Saturday 21 January 2012

Quirky

I had never really got to grips with finding words to describe my style as advised by Imogen.
However, this week my colleague and I were trawling through the staff photos to try and identify members of staff who we didn't yet know.
We came across a Sociology Teacher.
"I love her sense of style," I said.
My colleague laughed.
"You both dress in the same way that's why you like it. You both have a quirky sense of style."
So there it is.
Quirky.
At 45 I have finally found a word to describe my dress - quirky.

It was another busy week at college and after reading Lorena's blog about the step she has taken to help her move into a teaching career it made me realise how lucky I am.
I love working with 16-19-year-olds.
One of my students is totally blind.
He doesn't like the phrase "sight impaired."
He prefers to be called blind.
I spent two break times with him this week and he showed me the vast array of equipment he uses to enable him to work alongside sighted students on his Music Course.
I am totally in awe of him.

6 comments:

  1. thanks for commenting on my blog, I suppose I have time because I sleep very little, I also spend no time at all on my appearance. Once a month hair dye including wash and dry in under one hour, quick monthly self wax of eye brows, that's it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just found more time, I read your Christmas blog and we don't celebrate christmas as most people do, other than a family meal, which is the same as any sunday lunch, I don't do shopping, I stay at work until all my planning and marking is done and I'm work at 7 am every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't describe my style either but I would be happy with quirky. Quirky is good! It's individual, idiosyncratic and the opposite of bland/generic, so that's all positive in my book! All your outfits are great, you definitely suit the bright colours.
    Those with daily challenges who manage these with grace and optimism put me to shame and make me realise I should stop moaning about trivial stuff... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are quirky cool! Your hair looks great too - getting so long!

    I try to remember to be thankful for what I have and not complain too much. Things could be much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what word describes my style, but "quirky" is not how I would describe yours. I really, really like the yellow and black look on the far right. Your blind student reminds me of a deaf student I had once. I had presumed she was "dumb" as well. She came to class with a sign interpreter each day. Imagine our surprise when one fine day this student SPOKE and we were floored!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! comments have been enabled !
    :)
    This is interesting and I have no idea what I would call my style. It's actually quite a difficult question.
    In your case, I find that your style makes me think you are approachable, warm and fun.
    Oh and thank you for your comment, I already had my first class on Thursday and I loved every minute of it. To be honest I felt kind of dumb and not prepared as when everyone around me started to give an introduction of what they had studied there were many PHDS, quite a few masters and people with over 10 degrees !
    So, it should be an interesting group as it is so diverse !

    ReplyDelete

First 24 Hours in India

  Ten years after qualifying as a yoga teacher I finally realised a dream - to travel to the birthplace of yoga. I have been planning this t...