Thursday 5 April 2012

Farewell Spotty Shirt

I wore this outfit yesterday and when I took the shirt off I noticed a rip at the bottom - just above the peplum.
The fabric is silk and it can't be repaired.
I have had a love/hate relationship with this shirt.
Initially, I loved it.
I bought it in the summer of 2008 just before I started my year of not buying any clothes.
I wore it for the first time when I went to see Mamma Mia with my husband.
But then I fell out of love. I had gone off the frill and the fabric wasn't as fresh as it used to be.
I also thought it made me look fat.
One time I put it on eBay but as it didn't get more than £1.04 in bids I withdrew it from sale.
This year I was delighted to see the peplum was back in and retrieved this shirt from the back of the wardrobe.
I have worn it a couple of times already this year and was feeling the love again until the shirt took its final revenge and split on me.
I can't bear to throw it away.
Anyone got any ideas of what I can do with an unwearable shirt?

9 comments:

  1. I wish I knew anything about sewing - sorry! I love the shirt though. Can you just cover the rip with a belt/sweater?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to this in so may ways -
    It's that garment that when you are finally ready to put it back on rotation - its ruined :(
    I can only recommend you "patch" it from the back and maybe use it as a layering piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... is it tuckable-in? (Is that a word? I think not but you know what I mean!) Or would there be too much fabric?
    If it's only a small rip, maybe it's still wearable and no one (except you) would ever notice it? Could you use the blouse "tails" to tie in the front for a cute 50s look with a pencil skirt or pedal pushers in summer? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a shame, its lovely! I would have it cut across where the rip is turning it into a crop top to be layered on longline vests x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, there must be a rescue for it. Just when peplums are all the rage for spring too. Hope you can figure out something.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there a panel of it that is big enough to make a scarf?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a shame when its a top you like! I agree with Terri, could you make a scarf out of it?

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a shame!its such a lovely top and the whole outfit is gorgeous... im useless at crafty stuff but like the ladies above said, maybe a scarf. is the split completely unfixable? such a shame!xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could you stitch or pin a red, black or white clothes flower over it, perhaps? Or wear a thick belt? The outfit looks lovely on you, by the way.

    ReplyDelete

First 24 Hours in India

  Ten years after qualifying as a yoga teacher I finally realised a dream - to travel to the birthplace of yoga. I have been planning this t...