Friday 24 July 2009

Gran Torino


I watched Gran Torino starring Clint Eastwood last night.
And what a movie.
If you haven't seen it, then you should.
It's a fabulous story.
Screenwriter Nick Schenk learned about the Hmong people while working in a factory in Minnesota.
He discovered how they had sided with the South Vietnamese forces and its U.S. allies during the Vietnam War, only to end up in refugee camps, at the mercy of northern Communist forces, when American troops pulled out.
Years later, he was deciding how to develop a story involving a widowed Korean War veteran trying to handle the changes in his community when he decided to place a Hmong family next door and create a culture clash.
He and Dave Johannson, Schenk's brother's roommate, created an outline for the story.
Some industry insiders told Schenk that he could not produce a film starring elderly characters as it could not be sold.
Enter the pale rider, aka Clint Eastwood.
Clint made Schenk's day when he agreed to produce and direct the film.
As the film ends the Gran Torino is being driven along a coastal highway with the song (written by Clint) and sung by Jamie Cullum plays.
This morning I googled the lyrics which, I think, sums up the title of my blog.

"Your world
Is nothing more
Than all
The tiny things
You've left
Behind."

Here's one of the tiny things that make life worthwhile - a fabulous flirty skirt.

12 comments:

  1. that movie is on my list (so is putting your new site on my blogroll)!! my favorite is the all blue outfit-LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new skirt is fun and flirty!

    Hubby wants to watch that movie. We just haven't had the time. Maybe tonight we'll see if it's still available On Demand. I'll tell him you recommended it ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always get the feeling that something is profoundly wrong in your daily life when reading your blog- keep your head up. I hope things work out for you!

    that skirt is just as fab as I thought it was on the last post ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gran Torino is a brilliant film, but I love any film directed by Clint Eastwood. I've been telling everyone to watch this film - glad you liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And fabulous this tiny thing is, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review of this film and your skirt looks fabulous my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The skirt if wonderful, can't wait to see the pink dress on you.

    Thanks for the movie recommendation. We don't watch many movies but this might be an exception.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved that movie! It was a shame that the acting, screenwriting and the song were ignored at the Oscars.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought it was you on your new blog and I was right! I love your new skirt. Looks especially great with the camisole left long over the waist. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't seen the pic but it's def. on the must see list. When I read the following: "Your world
    Is nothing more
    Than all
    The tiny things
    You've left
    Behind."

    I couldn't help but identify with it and my own families struggles with leaving your country behind in order to survive.

    Great post...Oh! and great pics too:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a charming post! I have a quotation (by writer Kim Stafford) on my blog that seems to me to express something of what you're doing here: "Cohesion is born of random abundance." At least, I keep hoping that if I lay out the random abundance in my life, eventually there will be some cohesion -- you seem to have achieved it here.

    ReplyDelete

First 24 Hours in India

  Ten years after qualifying as a yoga teacher I finally realised a dream - to travel to the birthplace of yoga. I have been planning this t...