Friday 30 July 2021

Swallows, Amazons & Yogis

 

Everyone enjoys a Lake District adventure don't they?

Fed up of a January lockdown I booked myself on a Yoga & Walking Holiday in the Lake District.

After no alone time for what seemed like aeons I made sure I knew no-one else and could travel solo and decide how much time I wanted to spend with other people.

And last Monday that impulse summer booking finally arrived - at the same time as a heatwave.

Of course my adventure began in a charity shop - the Scope shop in Windermere which I had dicovered during our trip in May. 

This time I found a lovely Monsoon dress which I'm wearing in the grounds of the hotel where our yoga retreat took place.

I had come to Winderemer because I was picking up two fellow solo yogis from the train station.

 A Whatsapp group had been created for all attendees a couple of days before and as I knew the area well and was driving through Windermere to get to the retreat I offered to give lifts.

 It was also a useful way to get to know a couple of peopel first. 

Luckily, both Alison and Janie proved to be great company.

After unpacking and arranging my yoga vests in order we enjoyed our first yoga class in the studio.


It was Monday and the July heatwave hadn't quite reached its peak.


We were staying at Yewfield, a vegetarian country house hotel and after a lovely meak I retired to my room for an early night as the morning yoga started at 6.45am.


As the weather was warming up our group opted for the outdoor yoga classes on the lawn in front of the hotel. 

Imagine lying on the lawn in savasana, staring at the clouds and watching swallows swoop overhead while in the distance you can hear the rustling of wild deer.

It was fabulous and the time just flew.

After breakfast three walking guides came to lead our 20-strong group on a hike in the fells which included several stops at lakes for a cooling swim.


Around 4pm we returned to the hotel to prepare for our two hour evening yoga session and dinner.


The days took on this familiar rhythm.

Yoga, hike/swim, yoga, dinner, bed. Repeat.


It was a magical time and perfect timing with the weather.


The retreat ended on the Friday and we said our farewells before making our way home.

However, on the way home I made a detour to visit a special place near Coniston Water which I will post about next.

If you ever fancy a yoga retreat I would wholeheartedly recommend Michelle and her team at  Adventure Yogi who made this trip such a lovely, grown up adventure.

7 comments:

  1. That sounds like a fantastic weekend away and weren't you lucky with the waether?
    I love both your dresses, so pretty! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jane, what a supremely relaxing looking holiday. Lovely photos. I have fond memories of playing Swallows and Amazons by Lake Windermere as a kid (it was freezing!!!), then later on making weird sculptures as a teenager in the woods. I look forward to your next post. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds absolutely fabulous - and what luck you had with the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds amazing - and how lucky you were with the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You seem to have found a perfect weekend, well done. All good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely and relaxing, I would have enjoyed the swimming and walks - not bendy enough for yoga!

    ReplyDelete

First 24 Hours in India

  Ten years after qualifying as a yoga teacher I finally realised a dream - to travel to the birthplace of yoga. I have been planning this t...