Friday 17 October 2014

Dad


 
Since 2010, October 17th has been a day I have dreaded.
A day I want to pass as quickly as possible.
The day my dad died.
But today on this October 17th I woke to a feeling of immense gratitude. I felt grateful to have had such a wonderful father for more than 40 years. When I closed my eyes I no longer saw the face of a frightened dying man. It had gone. Instead I saw the beaming smile of a man who loved life, his family and especially his wife.
 


 

Memory after memory came flooding back and through them all the lessons he had taught me - to see the world through a child's eye; that the simplest things bring the greatest joy and how to score a cricket match and many, many more.
I am grateful that my children got to spend many hours in his company and they have many wonderful memories too.
I am grateful that he got to meet all of his grandchildren.
So today on this October 17th I will no longer mourn his death but instead celebrate the man who knew how to live.

6 comments:

  1. Such lovely words. What a wonderful relationship you had. Much love to you all today x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does take a while after to get where you are now, being able to celebrate his life. Make sure you celebrate it well for him :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so incredibly-fortunate to have your loving pa for so long, Jane(he lives on in you, your mum etc. for sure:), unlike I (my dad emigrated to Canana when I was very young and unfortunately for us both we never saw each other again as he died there overr a decade ago). I believe he's still with you, watching over you:) X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written. I'm happy to hear you have come to these peaceful and loving memories.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jane, this is so heartfelt - I think you have learned from him also the art of conforming a family, which you have done wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just desire to say your article is as surprising. The clarity in your post is just great and i could assume youre an expert on this subject. Neuroplex Pro Well with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the enjoyable work.http://www.healthsupreviews.com/neuroplex-pro/

    ReplyDelete

First 24 Hours in India

  Ten years after qualifying as a yoga teacher I finally realised a dream - to travel to the birthplace of yoga. I have been planning this t...